Home About Membership Tips Resources Map Contact

Tips from the RCMP:
The RCMP member liaison of Turner Valley encourages anyone who witnesses suspicious or dangerous activity to contact their office and make a formal complaint. This makes the members of the RCMP aware of the event at the time and if they happen to be in the area, they can check it out. Many people do not want to bother the RCMP or be put in a position as a witness, but if a member happens to be in the area they may observe the situation or person or vehicle. Even if it is a report just for information purposes, the members can attempt to make patrols in the area while conducting their daily activities and be watchful for noted vehicles or activities. 

To report a complaint to RCMP in our RCW area, please call: 403.933.4262

Interview with HCRCWA - Q & A:
1. Why are you active with the High Country Rural Crime Watch? What is your role with the organization?

I believe being involved in our community, through our local crime watch, will help make it a safer place.  I am the President for the HCRCWA. Our organization became reactivated in 2010 after significant break-in crimes in our area.

2. What advice can you give Foothills residents that may educate them and help protect them from rural break-ins?

  • Know who to call when you have a problem: To report a complaint to the RCMP in our RCW area, please call: 403.933.4262.  In Emergencies, please call: 9-1-1
  • Don’t be afraid to call in a complaint or odd situation you have observed – it may be part of a story to help solve crime.  Don’t be afraid to call 9-1-1 or the RCMP more than once on a situation, with more information or if you have not received an answer about something you are worried about, which relates to your safety.
  • If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, choose wisely as to how to get away.  Plan for it: think about being prepared to leave your home immediately if necessary.  What would you take with you if you have to grab something and run, whether for a fire or your safety?  Is it within easy reach day and night?
  • Observe – record – report – our moto from the RCMP.
  • Keep your cell phone handy to take a quick photo if needed, and of course, for calling in...
  • Put up our yellow Rural Crime Watch sign on your property to show you are part of our community network.
  • Join our HCRCWA: Stay informed by being a part of our network of information sharing and receive alerts about things in our area.
  • Get to know your neighbours so that you can notice when something is amiss, watch out for each other, and create a united defense against others targeting our community for crime.
  • Keep our HCRCWA accident report form and incident cards on hand to remind you about what information to record in an accident or when you witness a situation you may want to report.

3. How can joining the High Country Rural Crime Watch help residents?

  • When you join forces with your neighbours and the RCMP, you can help safeguard people and property in all our rural communities through awareness, communications and education! 
  • The High Country Rural Crime Watch Association (HCRCWA) helps to connect residents to important crime prevention resources, links, tips and updates by sending out incident and RCMP messages through a fan out network via email, phone, and use of our website.
  • We think it is very important that you get to know your neighbours, to help identify suspicious activity and report it.
  • Be the eyes and ears for the RCMP and be part of a healthy crime watch system. When you become a member you will receive a Rural Crime Watch sign which you can display on your property to increase awareness and show the presence of the HCRCWA.
  • You can also join the HCRCWA Board to help with planning the future of the organization or be involved as a volunteer in other ways.  We welcome and appreciate any assistance with this work.

4. How do they join? Is it free and who funds it?

  • Membership is FREE due to a generous corporate donation. We will continue to fund raise to keep membership free. 
  • Contact us for more information, learn more about us and download our Membership Form on our website: www.hcrcwa.ca
  • Contact for more information & to sign up: 403.931.2407
  • HCRCWA covers the Turner Valley RCMP Detachment response area, which includes the western portion of Foothills County (immediately southwest of Calgary), with major western parts of county Divisions 2, 3 and 4. Check out our map to see where you fit into this RCW.  
  • Fill in a Membership Form, which is available on our website.  Send it in (address is on our website) or call 403.931.2407 to sign up.
  • We also plan to inform more of our communities and encourage membership through holding public meetings with guest speakers and participating at community events, where you can also sign up.

5. Is there anything else you would like to add that I have not asked?

Thank you for your interest in our community and spreading this message.   By working together on this, we can create awareness and partnerships to effectively achieve our goal of safeguarding people and properties.

Best Regards, Suzanne Oel, HCRCWA President



High Country

copyright© 2010 - 2020 - High Country Rural Crime Watch Association
Design by sisters@art ~ website by SpiritHills.ca

Home || About || Membership || Tips || Resouces || Map || Contact